Thursday, November 14, 2013

Broken Things and Bomb Threats

So, yesterday and today have been nothing but misadventures. We can start with yesterday morning.
I overslept, but it's not as if that doesn't happen most days. Thankfully, my trusty father was at hand to wake me. After my shower, I re-entered my room and managed to slam my head on the door frame. Contrary to what you may assume after having read that, I am only 5'5" and could not hit my head on the top of my door frame. No, no, I managed to bang it on the side of the door frame. How does one accomplish such a task? I could not tell you; I only know that it happened to me.
Upon preparing my things for swim practice, I realized I left my bag in the van after practice the night before. When I retrieved it, I came to find out that my previously soggy suit was now frozen solid. Wonderful. Most definitely a first time experience for me.
In second block at school, I grabbed a notebook from my desk, only to knock my phone off of the desk and onto the hard, unforgiving floor. Relieved to see that it had not acquired even a scratch, I placed it back in my purse. Psyche! I went to use it a few minutes later, and all that showed was a flickering black and blue screen. My heart sank.
The rubber seal on the eye cup of my goggles ripped at practice in the middle of a sprint set with tight intervals, meaning little rest. Because of this, I swam with blurry vision, burning eyes, and no time to stop and fix anything. I repeated the "positive paradigms" that have been drilled into my head during m Academy for Young Leaders meetings and my student leadership class, taught to me by the book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens. "I am strong. I am strong. I am strong," I chanted in my mind, but to no avail. More coughing and sputtering occurred than is socially acceptable.
Today was a completely separate misadventure altogether. Someone threatened to bomb our high school. As exhilarating as that seemed to be for the first eight minutes and forty-three seconds, it had grown incredibly old by the time three excruciatingly long, terribly cold, and hunger-pain filled hours had passed. Really though, one can only come up with so many conspiracy theories; I personally ran out after seventeen. Most disappointing of all, though, was that I couldn't tweet using #bombthreatthursday since my phone hadn't been replaced yet. As it turns out, there weren't even any bombs or suspicious packages! Bummer, am I right? Okay, I know I should be happy about that, but it was going to be one of the most exciting things to ever happen to me! Sad day.
I also found out that we have to get our team picture retaken for high school swimming because, as of this year, wearing swimsuits for a team picture is "indecent" and "offensive" and "inappropriate". I mean, just because we represent our school in front of hundreds in the same attire (or lack-thereof, I suppose), doesn't mean it's okay to have our picture taken in them. Because, obviously.



No comments:

Post a Comment